Demonstrators lashed out in violence over opposition to President Donald Trump near the Capitol building in Washington D.C. on Friday morning, ABC News reports.
Protesters took to the streets clashing with police an hour before ceremonies began. According to USA Today, about 90 people were arrested in correlation with the demonstrations.
According to ABC News, police deployed pepper spray on several demonstrators who had broken windows at a local Starbucks, Bank of America and McDonald’s. The outlet reports demonstrators also destroyed vehicles, damaged ATM’s and set small fires near the ceremony site.
Other protesters staged peaceful protests near security checkpoints near the inauguration, wearing orange jumpsuits in solidarity with Guantanamo Bay detainees.
DisruptJ20, a group named after inauguration day promised group members would disrupt celebrations in spite of the threat of arrests, the outlet reports.
The “Festival of Resistance” march ran about 1.5 miles to McPherson Square, a park about three blocks from the White House, where a rally featuring the filmmaker and liberal activist Michael Moore was planned.
Along the inaugural parade route, the ANSWER Coalition anti-war group planned demonstrations at two locations.
Protests in D.C. are a part of many sprouting up across the nation. Activists and demonstrators have planned protest efforts in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Austin and Philadelphia, to coincide with the inauguration The Hill reports.
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14.14 of 14
Violent Anti-Trump Protests Break Out Near The Capitol On Inauguration was originally published on newsone.com