Friday, Jan. 15
9am Martin Luther King, Jr.
Wreath Laying Ceremony
MLK Memorial Gardens
1500 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Raleigh, NC
9am – 11am A Day of Prayer and Reflection – Corporate Prayer.
11am The N.C. Department of Administration will host a “Let Freedom Ring” bell-ringing ceremony at 11 a.m. at Bicentennial Plaza, 1 E. Edenton St., Raleigh. After the service, which is free and open to the public, participants will gather at First Baptist Church, 99 N. Salisbury St., for the 2016 State Employees Martin Luther King. Jr. Holiday Observance program and reception.
▪ A Women of Action Gathering is at 7 p.m. at the Page-Walker Arts & History Center, 119 Ambassador Loop, Cary, as part of Cary’s MLK Jr. DREAMFEST. The event includes performances and keynote speaker Josephine Brown, a weight management specialist.
Saturday, Jan. 16
▪ An International Diversity Summit is 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Cary Arts Center, 101 Dry Ave., Cary. It features a panel discussion about the importance of diversity. To register, call 919-460-4969.
▪ Cary’s DREAMFEST features “An Arts Tribute to Martin” at 7 p.m. at The Cary theater, 122 E. Chatham St., with performances by soprano Gail Jackson and The Gifted Arts Inc., followed by a free showing of Disney’s “Selma, Lord, Selma” at 9 p.m.
▪ Durham Parks and Recreation will host a program to commemorate King from 2 to 5 p.m at the W. D. Hill Recreation Center, 1308 Fayetteville St. The theme is “MLK: Remembering the Legacy through the Arts,” and the free event will feature art displays, poetry, community discussions, live performances, crafts and more.
Sunday, Jan. 17
▪ The film “Selma” will be shown at 2 p.m. at The Cary theater, 122 E. Chatham St. Tickets are $5. The film is about Martin Luther King Jr. and his civil rights march in 1965 from Selma, Ala., to Montgomery. A Q&A session will follow.
Monday, Jan. 18
6 – 8 am – The Triangle Martin Luther King Jr. Committee will host the 36th annual Martin Luther King Jr. Triangle Interfaith Prayer Breakfast from 6 to 8 a.m. at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, 4700 Emperor Blvd., Durham. Keynote speaker: Rev. Mark-Anthony Middleton Pastor of Abundant Hope Christian Church, Durham, NC
8:30am – Fuquay-Varina will celebrate King’s life with a march at 8:30 a.m. The march starts at Fuquay-Varina Middle School, 109 Ennis St., and ends at First Baptist Church, 105 N. West St., where breakfast will be served at 9:30 a.m. A program begins at 10 a.m. with a community children’s choir and the Rev. Lakethia Chapman. To volunteer, call Marion Tucker at 919-285-4135.
10am – 2pm – Volunteers will gather at Middle Creek Community Center, 123 Middle Creek Park Ave. in Apex, at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. to help beautify the area. Registration is required by calling 919-469-4301 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteers 15 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
11am – The Triangle Martin Luther King Jr. Committee will host the “Fierce Urgency of Now” memorial march starting at 11 a.m. from the State Capitol building on Edenton Street in downtown Raleigh to the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts. Assembly and line up begins at 10am
12noon – 36th Annual MLK Noon Ecumenical observance in partnership with Shaw University School of Divinity will begin at noon at the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts, 2 E. South St., Raleigh. Keynote speaker Bishop Lawrence G. Campbell, Sr. of Bible Way Cathedral, Danville VA
5:30 pm – 36th Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Evening Musical Celebration will begin at 5:30 p.m. at the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts, Raleigh.
Throughout Day – The United Way of the Greater Triangle will host a Day of Service in which volunteers can help with 35 projects in Durham, Johnston, Orange and Wake counties. For information or to sign up, go to unitedwaytriangle.org.
Thursday, Jan. 21
▪ Several churches and organizations in Wake Forest will host a free public celebration at 6 p.m. at 237 Friendship Chapel Road. A light meal will be served at 6 p.m., and the program will begin at 7 p.m.
Text “LIGHT” To 37890 for your chance at ticket giveaways and news before anyone else!…Standard Messaging Rates Apply
LIKE The Light On Facebook To Keep Up With your favorite artist and celebrity news!