The family of Patrick Kelly is stunned and outraged by the alleged incompetence of a doctor who searched online to figure out how to perform a procedure that led to their loved one’s death.
Kelly’s family filed a malpractice lawsuit against Union County Medical Center in Union, South Carolina and Dr. Hani Mohamed Sorour, who treated Kelly in the hospital’s emergency room in 2016, WSPA-TV reports.
According to the lawsuit, Kelly visited the hospital last March for a sore throat. The medical team gave Kelly penicillin and discharged him. However, Kelly had an allergic reaction to the medication. His tongue and throat swelled to the point that he struggle to breathe.
Kelly returned to the hospital, but Sorour tried unsuccessfully to incubate him. Instead of consulting with the medical team, Sorour went to YouTube and searched for “how to perform cricothyrotomy,” the lawsuit alleges. It’s a procedure in which a patient’s neck is cut to create an alternative airway.
According to the news outlet, the coroner asked the Union Police Department to investigate Kelly’s death. The investigators found YouTube opened on Sorour’s computer.
WSPA-TV said Sorour was a temporary employee hired through an agency. A deeper search by the outlet uncovered that he served 20 weekends in jail for a 2008 misdemeanor assault in Virginia.
In 2011, Sorour attached a 3-page letter, which explained the charges, to his application to practice medicine. WSPA-TV said his background was never investigated.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Lawsuit: Doctor Botched Surgery Learned From YouTube was originally published on newsone.com