“That was one of those things that you just sort of think, dang, you don’t even know me, you know?” she said on Monday’s First Lady Michelle Obama Says Farewell to the White House – An Oprah Winfrey Special.
You just sort of feel like, Wow, where did that come from?You think, that is so not me! But then you sort of think, well, this isn’t about me,” she continued. “This is about the person or the people who write it.”
The first lady told told her friend talk show icon that the stereotype is rooted in fear.
“We are so afraid of each other, you know? Color, wealth, these things that don’t matter still play too much of a role in how we see one another. And it’s sad, because the thing that least defines us as people is the color of our skin, the size of our bank account. None of that matters.
In an earlier clip of the interview, the first lady noted without mentioning Donald Trump’s win that Americans feel an overwhelming sense of hopelessness.
“We feel the difference now. See, now, we are feeling what not having hope feels like,” she said. “Hope is necessary. It’s a necessary concept and Barack didn’t just talk about hope because he thought it was just a nice slogan to get votes.”
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14.14 of 14
‘Dag, You Don’t Even Know Me:’ Michelle Obama On Being Labeled An ‘Angry Black Woman’ was originally published on newsone.com