The annual back-to-school sales tax holiday began at 12:01 a.m today and ends at midnight Sunday.
State sales tax is 5.75 percent. Local taxes bring it to 7.75 percent in most counties.
The tax exemption covers:
- Clothing, shoes and school supplies that cost $100 or less each
- Instructional materials, like textbooks and globes, that cost $300 or less per item
- Sports equipment – from mouth guards to baseball gloves – priced at $50 or less each
- Computers with a sales price of $3,500 or less (Note: The sale of a computer monitor, keyboard, mouse or speakers is only tax-free if bought as part of a computer package/)
- Computer supplies, like a flash drive or printer, as long as they are $250 or less per item