The FBI declined White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus’ request to dispute news reports that President Donald Trump’s advisors had multiple contacts with known Russian intelligence agents during the presidential campaign, CNN reports.
In making that request, the White House crossed a line that restricts communication with the FBI during pending investigations.
This latest scandal stems from a stunning New York Times report that American intelligence agencies intercepted phone calls between Trump advisors and senior Russian intelligence officials. The Times’ story, which appeared as concerns mounted about Trump’s ties to Russia, did not identify specific sources of information.
CNN reported that Priebus reached out to FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe the day after the Times and CNN reported on the contacts between the Trump team and Russian officials.
The news outlet said Priebus contacted McCabe a second time and also reached out to FBI Director James Comey, asking the director to tell reporters on background that he disputes the Times’ report. Comey rejected the request because it involved an ongoing investigation.
In its defense, the White House said it made the request after the FBI supposedly told Trump officials that the news reports were inaccurate.
Press Secretary Sean Spicer said CNN mischaracterized the White House’s contact with the FBI. “We didn’t try to knock the story down. We asked them to tell the truth,” Spicer said, according to CNN.
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14 of 14
"The future rewards those who press on. I don't have time to feel sorry for myself. I don't have time to complain. I'm going to press on."— BrooklynDad_Defiant! (@mmpadellan) February 18, 2019
-- President Barack Obama
Happy #PresidentsDay, Mr. President! We ❤️ you!@BarackObama pic.twitter.com/xhQEb4OG1U
Trump Administration Inappropriately Asks FBI To Dispute Reports Of Russian Ties was originally published on newsone.com