Tomorrow we need your help in making sure no child, senior or adult goes hungry in NC. Call 919-744-3663 between 6am – 8pm to make a donation.
The statistics are staggering:
- 1 in 5 adults hungry
- 1 in 4 kids
- 20% of our senior citizen population
- NC #5 in the nation for food insecurity
- African American households are more than twice as likely to be food insecure.
- More than 1 in 3 African American children (36%) live in food insecure households
- African Americans are 3X as likely to receive charitable food assistance through food banks.
- In NC almost 58% of public school children applied to receive free or reduced price lunch.
- Hungry kids can’t learn or develop normally. Good nutrition is critical in the first years of life. Childhood food insecurity leads to developmental, health, and behavioral problems. Also causes difficulties in concentrating and doing well in school.
We want to do more than just provide emergency food but we want to prevent the same people from being in the same line every week. By partnering with our six coalition partners we will be able to: provide long term access to health food, give nutrition education, and skills to grow and cook good food. Provide training programs that teach job skills and life skills so people can be self-sufficient.
log onto HungerFreeNC.org for more information.