As an African – American you maybe a diabetic and if not you probably know someone who is… Here are 9 foods a diabetic should eat.
The most important choice a diabetic can make in their life if the food they eat. Diabetics should be careful to consumer foods that are whole, low in sugar, sodium & fat and that are preferably not processed.
1. Oatmeal – Good Carb
2. Almonds – Protein rich and high in fiber. Helps regulate your blood sugar
3. Vegetables – Will lower your intake of simple carbs and saturated fat.
4. Beans – Dietary fiber; can keep blood sugar from spiking.
5. Fruit – Great alternative to artifical sugar, but eat in moderation
6. Fish – Omega 3s can improve good cholesterol (HDL) levels
7. Lean Chicken – eat instead of red meats to cut fat, calories and cholesterol.
8. Garlic – Linked to loweing blood sugar levels
9. Olive Oil – Skip butter, use olive oil to lead up on good fats.