On Thursday Defense Secretary Ash Carter made a historic announcement, ordering the military to open all military jobs to women. The order will remove barriers that previously prevented women from serving in combat.
The defense department’s decision ushers in a new era in the military that will allow women to serve on the front lines alongside male troops. Maj. Gen. Jeffery Smith said the new era in military combat is a welcomed change at Fort Bragg.
Smith said “We know that all men and women serve in the United States military. We know they serve honorably and they’ll serve well. We’re looking forward to this, and it will be a great thing for the Army.”
The decision to open combat jobs to women, which includes Special Forces and Navy Seals, comes more than three months after two women successfully completed Army Ranger School and years of reviews.
Lt. Col. Liz Curtis said “As long as we meet the standard and we’re able to compete just as well, more power to them.” The military has until January to submit plans to make the historic change.
WRAL military analyst and retired Gen. Robert Springer also commented on the change “Let us make the decision to include women in combat for the right reasons, that is because they are qualified. They want to serve, and they will enhance combat readiness.” Representatives with the Fort Bragg recruiting battalion in Raleigh told WRAL News that young women have already signed up for combat jobs.
For more information click here
Text “LIGHT” To 37890 for your chance at ticket giveaways and news before anyone else!…Standard Messaging Rates Apply