If you live in the Northeast the winter weather has been anything but your friend. The snow, ice and cold temperatures are enough to make anyone want to stay snuggled down in their bed. Do not spend too much time that way because your body chemistry will begin to change and depression will set in.
1. The first thing you can do to shake off those winter blues is to exercise. Physical activity boosts serotonin levels in your body which helps to fend off depression. If it’s not too cold, go outside and take a good, long power walk
2. The next thing you can do is get out of the dark and get into the light. Both natural and artificial sunlight have great benefits so open the blinds and let the sun in. If it’s an overcast day, turn on some lights in the house to brighten up the daytime.
3. Increase your social interaction. It’s easy to keep inside the house during the winter months when it gets cold or bad weather make transportation difficult. Getting together with friends and family, even if it means setting up a play date for your kids to get together with other moms, being social is a huge mood changing exercise and is extremely important no matter what time of year it is.
4. Make changes to your diet. Eating more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains and laying off of the caffeine and carbs will increase your mood just because it will make you feel better. It will also help in fending off winter weight gain
6. Begin reading that book that you wanted to get through. You would be amazed by how much time flies when you area reading a page turner. There are many great new books to read each week. Kindle and e-book readers are simple ways to reach your books.
7. Reconnect with those you live with. A good adult game night is a great Ice Breaker. It gives you a chance to make snacks and spend quality time with a group of people you enjoy.
8. Finish those Netflix movies that you have rented. You might actually have a conversation piece when you get back to work.